Friday, October 14, 2011

Real Life ER

I was nervous about my first Emergency Department rotation today. I didn't really know what I'd be seeing or what situations I would be in. I envisioned myself in the trauma room with a patient coding on the table and physicians teeming in and out of the room while I gloved up and jumped in for chest compressions.

HAH!

The day was mostly boring. My nurse and I had three patients - one was an elderly woman who had fallen and had a few skin tears and a bump on the head and the other two were chest pain patients. We gave O2, nitro, aspirin, and ran labs.

No traumas. No gunshot wounds. No ferry boat accidents  (&no McDreamy either! ha)  Nope. Lots of standing around awkwardly waiting for someone to give me something to do.

I did start two IV's and gave a couple of meds though. And everyone was very nice and helpful - so I can't complain too much about my day

  Done with my shift - sooo ready for the weekend. 


First up: a hot shower and a bottle glass of this yumminess


Mmmmmmm :)



1 comment:

  1. Aww, such a cute photo!! And that is after a shift?? Cute ;-) I sooo miss getting to wear scrubs to work (in fact, I'm wearing them as pjs right now, hahah!)

    ReplyDelete